[openbox] openbox/lxde and empty QT windows

Andrew Gallant jamslam at gmail.com
Tue May 7 01:07:01 EDT 2013

> Hi.
>

> On 07.05.2013 01:32, 52midnight wrote:
>
>> http://zhegan.in/files/screen-lxde3.png
>
> what's causing them ?
>
> The app you've used in the shot is titled 'knot'. Is it a KDE app? Possible
> conflict between KDE and Gtk/Gnome?
>
> Like catholics or protestants ? Or like Red Rose and White Rose ?
> I don't understand what 'conflict' you're talking about. These are just
> windows, man. Just widgets from different toolkits.

It is quite typical to see visual quirks from apps in environments
with a lightweight DE or no DE at all if your GTK and Qt
configurations are not set up correctly. I suspect this was the "conflict"
that 52midnight was referring to.

However, such conflicts don't typically manifest themselves as blank
windows. It's usually in the form of ugliness.

> That particular window is from Psi. Psi isn't about KDE or about Gnome. It's
> just Psi, like Switzerland. They may be speaking German, but this doesn't
> mean that they were fighting for Nazi during WWII.
>
> When I was using KDE I've never saw a FF window rebelling against kwin, and
> it's written using gtk, if that's what you mean.

Could you please provide more information?

- What version of Qt is `kont` using?
- Is this happening with other Qt windows? Or just `kont`?
- What version of Openbox?
- What version of X?
- Any compositing managers running?

I've only seen the kind of behavior you're experiencing in
applications using some variant of Java swing, so I am quite puzzled
to see this from Qt.

- Andrew