[openbox] Align multiple windows?

Jim Rees rees at umich.edu
Fri Nov 2 21:20:09 EDT 2012

Ian Zimmerman wrote:

  I need a way to make multiple windows from the same app behave - the
  same way that for example xmms does.  I don't know if that called
  "aligning" or "docking" or what, I hope my sense is clear.

  It would be enough to just place windows 2 and 3 relative to window 1
  when they are created, after that I'm willing to drive manually.  But
  I cannot think of a way to solve even this initial alignment problem.
  The settings in the <applications> section of the configuration file all
  just tackle matching windows individually.

You could write a script that starts the app then uses wmctrl to place and
size the windows.