[openbox] keyboard issues.

Alain Bertrand alainbe at free.fr
Thu Nov 15 16:55:28 EST 2012

Hi all,

I am a quite l old user of openbox that I started to use when blackbox
stopped being developped. I use it with a french keyboard and ibus/anthy
running for Japanese input on ubuntu/ linuxmint system.
Maybe 2-3 years ago, I noticed that some composition keys don't work as
they should with kde applications, which prevents me from getting an î.
gtk based app works well.
Shutting down ibus solves the problem but is not an option because I
write a lot of Japanese.

If I log into  a cinnamon session on linuxmint, everything is fine but
cinnamon is a cpu hog and I can't afford it on my box especially for
features I don't need. The same problem appears with Windowmaker of XFCE
so it is not an openbox problem per se.
The problem doesn't appear on my netbook with Suse.

I have also noticed that under openbox, the french keyboard variant I
use is not the one I have specified in cinnamon settings.

So, what could I do in the initiation of openbox to resolve these little
issues ?

TIA

Alain