[openbox] Chromium Browser - xdg issue

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Sep 25 20:14:41 EDT 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:43:46 -0400
Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
| On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Robert Orzanna <orschiro at googlemail.com> wrote:
| > How must that local xdg-open script look like?
|
| #!/bin/sh
|
| chromium "$*"
|
| would do something.
|
| > But I'm still very unhappy with such a solution. I rather want to
| > understand why I encounter this problem of defining chromium-browser
| > as default browser with xdg.
|
| As I understand it, xdg-open is a hack that just tries to call
| gnome-open or kdesomethingorother.  And if it can't tell what desktop
| you're running then good luck.  You can read the xdg-open script for
| full details and insert debug prints to figure out what it is doing if
| you are so inclined.

I needed to have a special 'open' replacement for a main application.

It seems that lotus notes calendar handler required the given file to
be writeable, but the mail program exports the attachment read only.

Attached was my "open-file" program (wrapper around "gnome-open").
It basically does a "file" call to look up the 'magic' information
about the file that was given, and if it is the specific file type
I need to modify, do that.  Otherwise call the default "open" command
as normal.

Any "xdg-open" should be similar.

If you nee to move the original "open" command to another filename, and
replace it with this script. Modify the script to call the renamed
original its default "open" command.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>
   UNIX was never designed to keep people from doing stupid things, because
   that policy would also keep them from doing clever things.  -- Doug Gwyn
   Anthony's Castle     http://www.ict.griffith.edu.au/anthony/