[openbox] Chromium Browser - xdg issue

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Sep 26 01:32:29 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:59, Robert Orzanna <orschiro at googlemail.com>wrote:

> How must that local xdg-open script look like?
>
> But I'm still very unhappy with such a solution. I rather want to
> understand why I encounter this problem of defining chromium-browser
> as default browser with xdg.
>
> Robert.
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM, Robert Orzanna
> <orschiro at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I struggle for days to define Chromium properly as my default browser for
> xdg.
> >
> > The basic problem:
> >
> > xdg-open http://google.com opens a new chromium window.
> >
> > However, when I want to open links, say from zim
> > (http://localhost:8080) or thunar-dropbox (view on dropbox site)
> > nothing happens.
> >
> > I tried several things, created a defaults.list, exported the DE and
> > BROWSER variable and configured exo-open but none of the things work.
> >
> > I discussed this problem also here [1] where you can find more
> information.
> >
> > Also I came across this mailing list post [2] where a similar problem
> > was posted. However, adding export BROWSER=exo-open or
> > chromium-browser did not change anything.
> >
> > I hope you guys can help me out. It is really frustrating.
>
> In the worst case you can make a script called xdg-open in your path,
> that runs its parameters in chromium.
>
> > Regards,
> >
> > Robert.
> >
> > [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=993940#p993940
> > [2] http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/nBRx34vvAo9stLyJY9lE

I noticed you've discussed the topic on the arch linux forums (I didn't read
the forum thread) so I have some suggestions. If you're using Arch try
installing mimeo ( https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32911 ) from
the AUR. It allows one to set their defualt mime types in desktop files
located in the  ~/.local/share/applications or ~/.local/share/mime folders
in your home directory. xdg-open uses desktop configuration files stored in
/usr/share/applications (at least on Arch) to determine which program to use
for a specific mime type. For zim there is an options in the preferences
dialog under applications to set up your file browser, web browser, email
client, and text editor. It comes up showing xdg default but you can set the
apllication you wish to use by clicking on the double arrow on the right
side of each option. As for thunar and dropbox, you should be able to set a
custom action by using the dialog under Edit; configure custom action
dialog.

As I said, I didn't read the forum thread, but the combination of mimeo and
configure custom actions in thunar have taken care of my needs on Arch.

Myra Nelson