[openbox] feature suggestion

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 02:28:04 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 October 2011 23:37, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I meant running something at a different path than what was currently
>> running. :)
>
> You can pass another binary to the Restart action, but not to the
> --restart command line option. This is not a problem with the command
> line parser, but rather how to send a whole string to the running
> openbox process. The message you send over X lets you pass a few
> integers, so right now we have something like 1 = exit, 2 = restart,
> then there aren't really many more useful things you can do with no
> parameters.

OK. The Restart action is the one I find more useful, anyway, and it is
a really cool feature. Maybe no other WM has it?

Anyway, in case the restarting from command line is important to
someone, it might be easily implemented: have the running openbox read a
hardcoded file when "openbox --restart" is run (I'm assuming this sends
a signal to the running openbox, which is trapped).The file (say,
~/.config/openbox/restartparams) would contain the string... Or, maybe
better, the file itself would be [a symlink to] the executable to
replace the running openbox (less code, no need to read a file)

Thanks

J.A.