[openbox] feature suggestion

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:50:34 EDT 2011

On 19 October 2011 23:37, Dana Jansens <dana at orodu.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been browsing
>> http://openbox.org/oldwiki/index.php?title=Help:Actions&direction=next&oldid=2410#Restart
>> and noticed that it seems to imply that we can indeed use "Restart" to
>> actually restart the program we used to start openbox (in my case, it
>> sets the environment and a few other things). I tried it and it worked
>> perfectly. No open window was lost. I created a new testing env variable,
>> and it was passed to the new openbox (newly launched terminals have it
>> set).
>> Maybe I misunderstood when you said it couldn't be done yet? Or did you
>> mean only the --restart option from CL, not the "Restart" action in
>> menu.xml/rc.xml? Or is this a new feature?
>>
>> Anyway, I have now a "Restart" entry in the menu that is really useful
>> when some configuration element that is "upstream" the openbox binary
>> changes and I want it loaded without killing the session.
>
> I meant running something at a different path than what was currently
> running. :)

You can pass another binary to the Restart action, but not to the
--restart command line option. This is not a problem with the command
line parser, but rather how to send a whole string to the running
openbox process. The message you send over X lets you pass a few
integers, so right now we have something like 1 = exit, 2 = restart,
then there aren't really many more useful things you can do with no
parameters.

--
Mikael Magnusson