[openbox] feature suggestion

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue Oct 4 12:50:45 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM, Alexey Korop <akorop at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dana Jansens wrote on 29.09.2011 00:09:
>
>  I noticed the --restart flag, which, if I guessed right, forces
>>> openbox to exec into itself. As the manual says, it is useful only if
>>> the binary on disk differs from the active one, in the case of an
>>> upgrading. But what if something else (the environment, for example)
>>> has changed and you want to load the changes without killing the
>>> session?
>>>

>  You can use a restart action to run anything you'd like.  That
>> anything could be a script that sets ENV vars and then runs openbox
>> again.
>>
>> Letting --restart take an argument to do the same thing might be cool.
>>

>   By the way, the openbox --restart in my system leads to a strange
> problem. The window of the Conky, which until then had been below all
> windows, after the --restart become above all windows. Conky configuration
> contains the following lines:
>
> own_window yes
> own_window_transparent no
> own_window_type override
> own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_**taskbar,skip_pager
>
> (This config is suitable fo run Conky under Gnome)
>
>   I decide this problem by restarting conky after openbox restart, but I
> wonder what's going on?

Override windows are outside of control.  We stack all our windows relative
to some window that we create, and we put this window at the bottom of the
stack order, which makes any override window above all the openbox windows.
 This choice was made because most override windows are used for things like
tooltips that should be on top.