[openbox] About possibility to have different wallpaper on every desktop.

Roman Bogorodskiy bogorodskiy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:58:13 EDT 2011

  Andrej N. Gritsenko wrote:

>     Possibly that question was asked yet so sorry. But I really want such
> feature to work so I ask help before digging into sources up to full mess
> with it. What I want? I want to have some kind of notification when the
> desktop is switching so any desktop handler (PCManFM for example) can get
> that notification and replace wallpaper on desktop. Does Openbox have
> such kind of notification (via D-Bus probably, it seems as unified way to
> messaging between applications) already?

It's possible to have more than one action on keybind, so you might have
something like that in your rc.xml:

    <keybind key="C-F1">
      <action name="Desktop">
        <desktop>1</desktop>
      </action>
      <action name="Execute">
        <execute>~/bin/desktop_changed.sh</execute>
      </action>
    </keybind>

And place any notification command you want into the script (be it dbus-send
or whatever your desktop handler understands).

You might add the same for mouse controls. The downside of this way that
obviously it will not work if desktop change wasn't initiated by
using openbox controls.

Roman Bogorodskiy