[openbox] client list with submenus

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Tue Jan 25 11:42:16 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Alexey Korop <akorop at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dana Jansens wrote on 24.01.2011 20:47:
>
>> I think we have 3 types of menu items.  Non-submenus, Submenus with
>> default, and Submenus without default.  I'd like to use the "submenu"
>> indicator to instead display these 3 things.  That is, currently the
>> submenu indicator is either empty or an arrow.  I would like to change
>> it instead to have 3 states.  How about empty, an arrow, or a diamond
>> (for submenu with default).  This way it is also independent from the
>> icon, which is a big plus.
>
>    All is exactly as You say for these 3 thypes.
>    But 4th type exist also: the default item of the submenu. I mark a
> default item by the "dimond" at the LEFT of the bar, and only this mark type
> may (in theory) to conflict with the icon. But in fact there is no
> concflicts.
>    For example, here (http://fit.kharkiv.org/openbox/client-list1.gif) the
> "Activate" item is a default item of a "Calculator" submenu. This action
> have no icon.

Oh I see. So there's a fourth type: A default item which is a submenu
that has a default of its own.  Then I suggest we make the default
menu items designated by their font rather than an icon, and let the
user set that font in their rc.xml as they do the standard menu item
font.  By default we can make it bold and the regular font normal
weight.  A user could instead choose to underline or italicize or
whatever they like.

- Dana