[openbox] Openbox and Xrandr - does not detect resolution automatically when maximizing

Pedro Ribeiro pedrib at gmail.com
Wed May 12 14:11:04 EDT 2010

Hi all,

this may or may not be a solvable however I think I've hit a bug using
openbox and xrandr.

I have an external monitor connected to my laptop. When I set the
monitor like this:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1080

everything works correctly.

However when I do

xrandr --output LVDS1 --off --output VGA1 --auto

which sets exactly the same 1920x1080 resolution, openbox does not
seem to understand the full screen resolution.
By this I mean that when I maximize a window, it will only cover the
1280x800 (which is the size of my laptop monitor) and not the whole
external screen. If I click and drag on the titlebar, the window then
grows to 1920x1080, but I have to do this on every window I try to
maximize.
Restarting or reconfiguring openbox appears to solve it.

Is this a bug?

Regards,
Pedro