[openbox] Req: Make autostart less awkward

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Sat Aug 7 20:08:01 EDT 2010

Hi MD,

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Cedric Sodhi <manday at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello, I've got a small feature request which I bet is quickly implemented,
> that is to provide a script which is run *AFTER* openbox is loaded. From the
> wiki I've understood that for all those applications which enhance OB post
> startup (panels and so forth) one needs to introduce a sleep timeout so they
> get called once OB has surely loaded.
> I think I musn't say that this is error prone, unflexible, introduces
> unessecary delays and is, tmho, utterly unelegant. You could do great work
> if you could let OB take a startup parameter / config option (cant tell
> what's more appropriate as I'm new to OB) which designates a script which is
> supposed to be run after OB has reach stable running status.

Good news.. this is already the case in our under-development version
of Openbox.  I've set it up with two scripts for autostart - one for
setting env variables (which is why autostart runs before openbox in
the first place) and one for running applications after openbox has

Thanks for your input. Cheers,