[openbox] Req: Make autostart less awkward

Dana Jansens dana at orodu.net
Sat Aug 7 20:08:01 EDT 2010

Hi MD,

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Cedric Sodhi <manday at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello, I've got a small feature request which I bet is quickly implemented,
> that is to provide a script which is run *AFTER* openbox is loaded. From the
> wiki I've understood that for all those applications which enhance OB post
> startup (panels and so forth) one needs to introduce a sleep timeout so they
> get called once OB has surely loaded.
>
> I think I musn't say that this is error prone, unflexible, introduces
> unessecary delays and is, tmho, utterly unelegant. You could do great work
> if you could let OB take a startup parameter / config option (cant tell
> what's more appropriate as I'm new to OB) which designates a script which is
> supposed to be run after OB has reach stable running status.

Good news.. this is already the case in our under-development version
of Openbox.  I've set it up with two scripts for autostart - one for
setting env variables (which is why autostart runs before openbox in
the first place) and one for running applications after openbox has
started.

Thanks for your input. Cheers,
Dana