[openbox] Fine-grained/smooth resizing of terminal/editor windows

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Mon Aug 17 12:58:15 EDT 2009

2009/8/17 Andrew Gallant <jamslam at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> In the same fashion
> as: http://icculus.org/pipermail/openbox/2009-February/006061.html - I would
> also like to know if it's possible to change this behavior. Essentially,

You are not able to change that behaviour.  From here
http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.2.3, windows that
resize in jumps > 1px is based on the fact that the application has
requested to be resized to those values.  Openbox honors those
requests and resizes windows accordingly.

> when resizing terminal windows (or even editor windows, like GVim), OpenBox
> resizes them at what appears to be character increments rather than pixel
> increments. This behavior is in contrast to resizing other windows
> (examples: mirage or thunar), where the resizing is in pixel increments.
> The reason I am inquiring about this is that I am writing a EWMH compliant
> tool that manages windows (i.e., tiling), and terminal windows cannot thus
> be resized precisely. (So while I am resizing windows manually using xlib
> and pixel values, OpenBox seems to be intercepting my request and resizing
> it at character width/height values instead.)

Yes, making a call to resize, as you are doing, is essentially making
an IPC call in to Openbox, not directly to the X server, to resize the
window.

There may be some terminals that don't specify to be resized to
specific values.  But generally resizing things to values the
application does not expect can lead to undefined behaviour.