[openbox] Support resolution-independent relative sizes in move/resize action

Jochen Schweizer deifl at deifl-web.de
Sun Sep 7 19:46:18 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 05:25:55PM -0400, Clay Barnes wrote:
> I think that something quite close to this essentially what I've been
> pondering suggesting.  I'm glad I'm not alone.  If Mikael and Dana are
> receptive, I'll starting thinking about implementation spec details.
>
> Considering how long the request for window-tiling has been out
> though, this might not be a high-priority feature for the devs.  I'd
> offer to code it, but I'm a TA plus a heavy grad-school load this
> semester.

Before openbox I used a lot tiling-windowmanagers (wmi -> wmii -> dwm
-> xmonad), but they gave me the same feelings like
floating-windowmanagers: 'not 100% perfect for me'.

So I started to began to think about defined areas. It should be
possible to squeeze applications in those areas and also select
applications directly when they reside in a area.

With a little bit help from others I wrote 2 scripts (one for
selecting and one for sending/sqeezing applications to areas). Both
scripts use a modified version of wmctrl and one configurationfile.

Still not perfect, but works for me as expected.

Regards
--
Jochen Schweizer | .: 0x4276C56C  :.
http://rffr.de/why-encryption