[openbox] Can't focus borderless terminal

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 14:46:42 EDT 2008

2008/10/22 Scott Horowitz <stonecrest at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Mikael Magnusson <lists at bak.och.fr.am>
> wrote:
>>
>> It's probably in override-redirect mode for some reason, which is not
>> openbox's fault. You can check with xwininfo,
>>  Override Redirect State: no
>
> Indeed this appears to be true, it's in override redirect state. For what
> it's worth, here's an abridged copy of the conversation that I had with (one
> of?) the urxvt developers.
>
>  12:16  sasha| hmm, let me check if urxvt indeed uses OverrideRedirect to
> implement borderlesness
> 12:17  exg| it uses mwmhints and fallback to overrideredirect
> 12:32  sasha| stonecrest : I'm afraid you are out of luck, since apparently
> openbox does not support Motif hints, which forces urxvt to use
> overwrite-redirect, which, again, is not very well handled by openbox
> 12:32  sasha| so, no borderless term for you
> 12:33  stonecrest| sasha: why was this working with the previous xorg
> version though?
> 12:34  sasha| probably, just some luck. It is not guaranteed to work, and
> actually its more likely not to work then to work. It could even come down
> to the small changes in timing
> 12:35  sasha| say, new xorg maps windows a little faster or a little slower,
> enough to interfere
> 12:36  stonecrest| i see.. well thanks for the information, i will pass it
> back along to the openbox devs.
> 12:40  sasha| truthfuly, urxvt should not have an option for borderless at
> all, as there is no reliable way for application to implement it.
> Borderlesness should only be impolemented through Window Manager settings
>
> I guess I haven't checked if I can set the term as borderless through
> openbox instead of urxvt. Is this possible?

I've no idea why urxvt's test for motif hints fails under xorg 1.5.2,
I can't upgrade past 1.3 because of the binary nvidia driver. And yes,
Openbox lets you specify borderlessness for the terminal, if you use
urxvt -name urxvt-borderless or something, you can match it with
name="urxvt-borderless" in the <applications> section.

--
Mikael Magnusson