placement totally broken?

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Sun Apr 13 00:35:55 EDT 2008

For all I know, "Smart" and "UnderMouse" are both synonyms for "Random".
And it has always been so :-(

I must be doing something wrong, but what?  I am running bare Openbox
(no Gnome or KDE), single screen, just 4 desktops - pretty vanilla.

One possibility - does Openbox try any reasonable policy at all when it
can't find a spot with no overlap?  Or does it really give up and revert
to randomness?  I always have a small xconsole window and a small
gkrellm panel running in 2 corners, and this being a laptop with
1024x768 resolution, my Emacs and Firefox windows don't fit.  But I
don't mind if the title bar of the xconsole is partially obscured, for
example.  That is still _much_ better than if all its contents are
obscured.  So a policy that considers the two outcomes equally bad would
not be very Smart indeed.

--
His stride expressed the man's pride and self-confidence
and his eyes revealed his honest simplicity.