[openbox] Re: wine and focusing

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Wed Jun 27 12:18:18 EDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Bernhard Stoeckner <elven at swordcoast.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007, Bernhard Stoeckner wrote:
> > Im using some applications in wine that frequently open up new windows,
> > show some status bar in them, then close them again. Each and bloody every
> > time that happens, focus gets shifted to those windows, and I have to wait
> > for it to finish. focusNew is set to no.
> >
> > Its annoying as hell. Is that fixable?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bernhard
>

> On that note; is it possible to completely disable focus grabbing?  I don't
> care if the nine hells rain down on some window. I want to finish typing, and
> if I choose so I will look at it in my own time. :)

Given the extreme inconsistencies between apps in how they use the
standard protocols, this is really hard.  Adding any assumptions about
the standards inevitably ends up breaking some applications that use
them differently.

You could look at the client_activate function if you want to prevent
ever giving focus to applications except when you do it yourself (when
'user'==false).. but I don't see this going into a release, as it
would only break lots of other situations.

Focus handing is just a real big mess in X and we're doing the best we
can with it, to get applications to work the way their developers
wanted.  But it really limits what we can do beyond that.