[openbox] Re: wine and focusing

Clay Barnes clay at hci-matters.com
Wed Jun 27 18:25:35 EDT 2007

On 12:18 Wed 27 Jun     , Dana Jansens wrote:
> Given the extreme inconsistencies between apps in how they use the
> standard protocols, this is really hard.  Adding any assumptions about
> the standards inevitably ends up breaking some applications that use
> them differently.
>
> You could look at the client_activate function if you want to prevent
> ever giving focus to applications except when you do it yourself (when
> 'user'==false).. but I don't see this going into a release, as it
> would only break lots of other situations.
>
> Focus handing is just a real big mess in X and we're doing the best we
> can with it, to get applications to work the way their developers
> wanted.  But it really limits what we can do beyond that.

I really like the idea of keeping a default setup that does the least
harm with the most applications (especially those that are
standards-compliant) and having per-app focus rules in the
<application> section.  We should also have an easy to find section on
the wiki for maintaining a list of application fixes as they are
developed.

--
Clay Barnes