[openbox] plugin for render

Benoît Gschwind doth.gschwind at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 15:51:07 EST 2007

On Dec 22, 2007 3:32 AM, Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net> wrote:

> It's my own personal opinion that it would be superior to simply make
> a theme format that let you specify a greater variation on the frame's
> sizes and whatnot, rather than make plugins, which would each have
> their own theme file format, bugs, maintainers, etc.

In my opinion, to make theme format that let you specify a greater variation
imply often more inconsistence in frame layout and it's hard to test all
configuration.  Next options of the more flexible theme format are hard to
define since it's hard to know what users will need.  Plugins architecture
give a way to peoples to make their own layout, and openbox team don't need
to know what those users need.

 I agree with the fact that imply each plugin's developers must maintain and
debug their plugins but they do that on very small peice of software which
have a simple and precise task, that simplify the maintenance.  An other
benefit is that openbox can provide a minimal theme plugin with 0 conf which
will be easy to maintain, and some others with more flexible configuration.

> Plugins for this have been persued before but I've never found it to
> be worth while.  I haven't looked at your patch yet, but do you intend
> to make a more formal interface between Openbox and the plugin, or to
> just use the Frame structure/functions as they are now (which would
> end up being segfault hell).
>
> dana

Currently the patch is like a "proof of concept", it is not intend to be
released. I plan to specify an
formal interface and his documentation.

I invite everybody to help me to provide an good interface.

--
benoit gschwind