[openbox] plugin for render

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Fri Dec 21 22:32:07 EST 2007

On 12/19/07, Benoît Gschwind <doth.gschwind at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re,
>
> On Dec 19, 2007 7:06 PM, Dave Foster <daf at minuslab.net> wrote:
> It will be used for build plugin that change the frame layout.  For example,
> this architecture allow the making of plugins that can draw frame with title
> at bottom, or a plugins that draw frame with big right/left handle.
> My main idea is to do something like theme-engine of GTK, which provide a
> way to define how buttons are draw, how scroll bar are draw, etc.

It's my own personal opinion that it would be superior to simply make
a theme format that let you specify a greater variation on the frame's
sizes and whatnot, rather than make plugins, which would each have
their own theme file format, bugs, maintainers, etc.

Plugins for this have been persued before but I've never found it to
be worth while.  I haven't looked at your patch yet, but do you intend
to make a more formal interface between Openbox and the plugin, or to
just use the Frame structure/functions as they are now (which would
end up being segfault hell).

dana