[openbox] Recursive filesystem browsing pipe menu, revisited.

John Russell jjrussell at gmail.com
Mon May 30 08:26:38 EDT 2005

On 5/30/05, Kacper Wysocki <kacperw at online.no> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a year and twelve days ago Dircha posted a pipe menu perl script that
> would recursively browse through folders. For no particular reason, in
> a bout of procrastination, I improved this script a little and added
> improvements suggested by John Russel.

Cool, glad I could be of inspiration ;-)

> My changes were:
>    - launches files selected through rox
>      (if this is properly configured,
>      the correct file handler should be launched)
>    - properly escapes spaces and ampersands, though
>      I'm sure there are other things that should be escaped.
>      (and could be done easier with some perl module)
>    - hidden directories aren't shown
>    - output is a little more human-readable, for debugging
>    - symlinks are opened in the rox filer
>
> You can use any old file handler just by changing the $cmd variable.
>
> Usage: add
> <menu id="browse" label="Browse" execute="browse ~" />
> to your menu.xml
>
> Thoughts?

This is really amazingly slick.  Very nice work.

One possible suggestion, have an entry to open a directory in the file
launcher of your choice.  e.g. maybe at the top or bottom of a
directory's submenu, separated from the contents by a horizontal bar
and entry that says "browse here" or something similar.

Very very cool.

John

PS 2 l's in Russell