[openbox] QT/KDE and Docker

Corey Wright undefined at pobox.com
Thu Oct 28 09:24:05 EDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:52:41 +0200
"Rene D. Obermueller" <rd_obermueller at freenet.de> wrote:

> when updating QT to a newer version, dock windows didn't work anymore.
> With licq and qt-gui for example, the dock symbol appears as a
> separate window, and with sim (linked against qt or kde), no dock
> window appears at all. I've got to further investigate this, but
> before doing so I wanted to ask if somebody encountered this too.
>
> I'm using openbox 3.2 and docker 1.5. I've got no access to that
> computer at the moment, so I can't tell which QT version I'm using
> now. But I'm going to provide this information later of course.

i monitor the psi package within debian and here are some bug reports
concerning psi and docking (both openbox and gnome):

my own experience was also reported in that first link.

to summarize my experience: when pypanel started offering a
docking/notification area, i stopped using docker and psi and madman
(both qt applications; actually madman is linked to both qt and gtk but
the docking behavior is similar to psi) are much more consistent in
properly docking.

i think qt recently (within the last six months to a year) changed their
docking implementation/support and things are working together properly.
 not to say that qt is wrong, as they may have made their docking
support closer to (freedesktop?) specifications, just like bash 3 broke
scripts because it became more posix conformant, but nonetheless
something is now messed up.

my immediate recommendation: try pypanel and see if it works better than
docker.  even if you don't switch to it, it at least gives you another
data point in hunting down the problem.

corey
undefined at pobox.com