[openbox] Per-workspace wallpaper impossible?

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Jun 8 04:07:22 EDT 2004

dircha wrote:

> Eric Shattow wrote:
>
>> Mikael Magnusson wrote:

>>> A faster solution that just came to mind would be to have a
>>> _net_wm_type_desktop (or whatever the name is) type window that has
>>>  all the pixmaps preloaded and just switches them over when you
>>> change workspace. It would probably use like 3M of ram per
>>> workspace though.
>>

>> yeah. or, if you're already running gnome with ob3 as the wm, you
>> could run multi-backgrounds-daemon.   i have this going with 3ddeskd
>> for switching workspaces,  pure functional eyecandy.
>

> If it hasn't already been mentioned, in your <keybind> where you have
> <action name="Desktop"> and then the desktop you want to go to, just
> append an <action name="execute"> as a child of the <keybind> that
> invokes a script that takes as a parameter a number from 1-10 (or how
> many every desktops you want).
>
> In the script switch/case for each possible desktop number (which is
> the argument from passed in from the shell), and "xloadimage -onroot
> -fullscreen [image]" accordingly.
>
> If your desktops are important enough to you that you want a seperate
> background on some, I would suppose you will stay on each long enough
> that you don't mind the initial load (which may or may not be
> noticable on your computer).
>
> For example, I use CTRL-ALT-[1-6] to switch desktops. SHIFT-ALT-[1-6]
> sends a window to a desktop but does not follow it.
>
> But if you switch relative to the current desktop (e.g. "next",
> "previous") rather than absolute as I described, then you are going to
> need to keep track of state somewhere. You won't need a daemon for
> this; you could get by using a file to track state. Just include a
> script as an additional <action name="execute"> that increments or
> decrements the value in a file.

OK, that seems to be the key issue that either I didn't know, or that is
confusing me, or both-- that depending on your access mode, desktops are
named differently somehow. Which would explain why using absolute
names/numbers in a rox --pinboard= command, or even using wmsetbg -w
<workspace> doesn't work.

I'll try some of these suggestions and see if any of them fit my needs
(thanks!), but I'm still curious as to what changed in workspace
designation between OB2 and OB3 (yes, I know one is based on bb code and
the other is completely from scratch, but that means nothing to me) so
that these 3 external programs would presumably work under OB2, but do
not under OB3.

> Sorry for the sloppy grammar; I'm on my way to sleep.
>
> dircha

Thanks again for the help, and no... it's not really "important", but it
would be nice, and trying to do things like this is how I learn more
about Linux and the WM, so I'm learning :-) .

Holly