non-XFT font support for older machines

Cas Cremers ccremers at win.tue.nl
Thu Sep 25 04:27:52 EDT 2003

Hi,

I like the ideas behind Openbox 3 a lot. I've been using Fluxbox 1.4
until now, and I'm not very fond of the direction they're going in.

Personally, I would love to switch to Openbox, but _only_ if I can use
it on all my machines. But some of these don't support XFT, so I can't
use Openbox on them.

Looking at font.c I thought: Maybe I can do this myself. But as I have
no experience with X fonts whatsoever, it turns out to be a major
hassle.

I was hoping that maybe there is someone who could fix this in a few
minutes. For me, it would definitely mean that I'd switch to Openbox,
and maybe this holds for other people as well.

What is your opinion on this? Maybe you all think we should get rid of
the old blocky fonts ;) However, I feel that it would be great to run a
fast WM like this on older machines, so we need non-XFT support.

regards, and good luck to the Openbox project,

Cas Cremers