[openbox] non-XFT font support for older machines

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Sep 25 04:36:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 10:27:52AM +0200, Cas Cremers wrote:
> Personally, I would love to switch to Openbox, but _only_ if I can use
> it on all my machines. But some of these don't support XFT, so I can't
> use Openbox on them.

Why can't they. XFT does not require the RENDER extension in the server. It
does it all client-side if the extension is not available. Just get some
fontconfig and xft libs on there and you should be good.

> What is your opinion on this? Maybe you all think we should get rid of
> the old blocky fonts ;) However, I feel that it would be great to run a
> fast WM like this on older machines, so we need non-XFT support.

XFT has deprecated the old X fonts. The old X fonts will likely even be
removed from an Xlib release at some point in the future. It is strongly
encouraged to not use them in new code. As stated above, old machines are
not discriminated against by XFT.

Anyhow, adding old X font support would not be a huge endeavor, but would
require hardcoding fonts, as the fonts are specified quite differently in the
themes. And I'm sorry (well, not really :) to say these capabilities would
not make it into the upstream code.

Cheers,
Ben