[openbox] New theme format proposal

Tim Riley tr at slackzone.org
Sun Sep 7 19:29:56 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 08:00, Andy wrote:
> Starting with a fresh themerc here since the other was getting a little
> confusing I think (: If I forgot to incorporate anything that was
> discussed just add your comment again, please.

Hi Andy, thanks for the new material for thought.

> ! I agree on the menu.title.justify change although font.color and
> ! text.justify might seem a bit odd, I like it like this since font
> ! and text have different meanings I think it makes sense.
>
> menu.title.bg:					raised gradient vertical bevel1
> menu.title.bg.color:				#272727
> menu.title.bg.colorTo:				#5a5a5a
> menu.title.font:
> courier,monospace:bold:pixelsize=11:shadow=y:shadowtint=50
> menu.title.font.color:				#8d8d8d
> menu.title.text.justify:			center

If we use .text, then everything (font, colour, justify) can go under
the same root.

> ! I think that this should be organized under the heirarchy window.client.*
> ! since this is where the client application sits and so there will be:
> !
> ! frameWidth->window.client.padding
> ! window.frame.focusColor->window.focus.client.color and
> ! window.frame.unfocusColor->window.unfocus.client.color
>
> window.client.padding:				0
> window.focus.client.color:			#000000
> window.unfocus.client.color:			#000000

My soul trembles at the possibility of the term "client" appearing in
the theme format.  A "client" is a word highly-specific to the X11
windowing system, and although it may well appear in source code, I
think we should avoid it as much as possible in user-visible areas
(yes, I know it appears in the rc.xml).

More importantly, the window manager CANNOT alter the appearance of the
client, it only provides decorations AROUND the client.  Therefore, I
see it as rather misguided to talk about the "client" (1) as an object
of theme properties, and (2) to give it it's own hierarchical level for
only one silly property below it.

- Tim