[openbox] New theme format proposal

Andy aholmes84 at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 7 21:42:47 EDT 2003

Tim Riley wrote:
> Hi Andy, thanks for the new material for thought.
>

>>! I agree on the menu.title.justify change although font.color and
>>! text.justify might seem a bit odd, I like it like this since font
>>! and text have different meanings I think it makes sense.
>>
>>menu.title.bg:					raised gradient vertical bevel1
>>menu.title.bg.color:				#272727
>>menu.title.bg.colorTo:				#5a5a5a
>>menu.title.font:
>>courier,monospace:bold:pixelsize=11:shadow=y:shadowtint=50
>>menu.title.font.color:				#8d8d8d
>>menu.title.text.justify:			center
>

> If we use .text, then everything (font, colour, justify) can go under
> the same root.

The way I see it *.font is the only reasonable way to define a font and
you certainly can't align a font so *.text.justify is the way to go as
well. This leave *.[font/text].color as the undecided property...is that
atleast agreeable?

>>! I think that this should be organized under the heirarchy window.client.*
>>! since this is where the client application sits and so there will be:
>>!
>>! frameWidth->window.client.padding
>>! window.frame.focusColor->window.focus.client.color and
>>! window.frame.unfocusColor->window.unfocus.client.color
>>
>>window.client.padding:				0
>>window.focus.client.color:			#000000
>>window.unfocus.client.color:			#000000
>

> My soul trembles at the possibility of the term "client" appearing in
> the theme format.  A "client" is a word highly-specific to the X11
> windowing system, and although it may well appear in source code, I
> think we should avoid it as much as possible in user-visible areas
> (yes, I know it appears in the rc.xml).
>
> More importantly, the window manager CANNOT alter the appearance of the
> client, it only provides decorations AROUND the client.  Therefore, I
> see it as rather misguided to talk about the "client" (1) as an object
> of theme properties, and (2) to give it it's own hierarchical level for
> only one silly property below it.

On your first point, I could think of a few different descriptions as
long as the theme author could understand this is where the client
program will appear. Off the top of my head: container, content...that's
all right now (: but you get the idea.

As for your second issue, I think that window.focus.[property].color is
consistent with the rest of the properties and is logical while I agree
with you that window.[property].padding isn't really, but I can't think
of a way around this with the way that the heirarchies work.

-Andy