[openbox] pipe-menus.. character encoding, high ascii and special xml chars

Mike logan at dct.com
Tue Oct 28 17:19:14 EST 2003

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 at 03:14PM, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
>[Mike - Tue, 28 Oct 2003 03:02:29 PM CST]
>> On Tuesday, October 28, 2003 at 02:30PM, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
>> >Why not use libxml2?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean.. libxml2 is used when linking against
>> -lobparser.
>>
>> I looked briefly for functions sounding like they would make strings safe
>> for the xml parser but found nothing.
>
>Doesn't libxml automatically do encoding conversion on read/write?  This
>isn't a new issue, and has probably been solved in libxml somewhere, and
>not necessarily the way you thought it would be.
>
>I just googled for 'libxml encoding conversion'.

Strange behavior on the xmlEncodeEntities() and xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant()...

xmlEncodeEntities() is deprecated in favor of xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant(), but they work differently. In 2.5.11, xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant() doesn't handle ' or ", and in 1.8.17, it doesn't handle '.

Dunno, I'll figure something out.. Maybe just rewrite the function to handle <>&'" and !isprint()able characters as mentioned earlier. Probably doesn't make much difference either way.