[openbox] pipe-menus.. character encoding, high ascii and special xml chars

Ava Arachne Jarvis ajar at katanalynx.dyndns.org
Tue Oct 28 19:02:41 EST 2003

[Mike - Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:19:18 PM CST]
> Strange behavior on the xmlEncodeEntities() and
> xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant()...
>
> xmlEncodeEntities() is deprecated in favor of xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant(),
> but they work differently. In 2.5.11, xmlEncodeEntitiesReentrant() doesn't
> handle ' or ", and in 1.8.17, it doesn't handle '.
>
> Dunno, I'll figure something out.. Maybe just rewrite the function to
> handle <>&'" and !isprint()able characters as mentioned earlier. Probably
> doesn't make much difference either way.

Perhaps there's more to it in the documentation, or this is a common
complaint (I can't imagine it *not* being if there really isn't a way to
convert between encodings), or there's a workaround, or there's a fix,
or the documentation at that particular link is out of date... etc.

This sort of thing can be done in Perl and Python and Ruby, so surely it
can be done (if in a more burdensome way) in C.  How does obconf or
openbox source handle it --- particularly obconf, since it must write
the configuration file?

It's nice to not reinvent the wheel over and over and over.