[openbox] another focus prob (3rc3 as well)

Mike logan at dct.com
Fri Oct 10 18:02:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 10, 2003 at 02:31PM, Marius Nita wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:48:42PM +0200, Cas Cremers wrote:
>> >
>> > Follow mouse kind of implies the mouse is moving in order to follow it. When
>> > using keyboard shortcuts, the assumption is that you would like further
>> > keyboard actions to still manipulate the same window, not a random window
>> > depending on where in the focused window you last left the pointer, and what
>> > windows are underneath it.
>>
>> That is not always the case now. I'm using Focus follows mouse. When I
>> have two overlapping windows, and use alt-tab to raise and focus the
>> lower right one, to get this:
>>
>> +---+
>> |p +----+
>> |  |    |
>> +--|    |
>>    +----+
>>
>> When I then switch desktops using the keyboard, and switch back, the
>> lower one is focussed al of a sudden!
>>
>> I did not move my mouse, so I don't expect focus to change.
>
>If you want _FOCUS FOLLOW MOUSE_ to work the way you want it to work,
>you focus with your mouse, not your keyboard. If you use alt-tab to
>focus windows that the mouse cursor is not on, it is entirely
>unreasonable to expect that the window manager will accomodate every
>possible combination of key-bound action and mouse-bound action
>behavior which "feels right" to you.
>
>In a nutshell, openbox tries to keep the focus under the mouse as much
>as it can. (hence 'focus follow mouse'!) If you don't like this, use
>click to focus.
>
>It seems that there are a bunch of users who want focus follow mouse,
>but they want it to follow the mouse only in certain situations. This
>is unreasonable and retarded, please consider maintaining your own
>patchset to suit your needs.
>
>Bye.

Don't confuse openbox' "focus follows mouse" (poor variable, config names) with the real focus-follows-mouse. What openbox has is sloppy-focus, there is no focus-follows-mouse (only Zuul!).

Primary difference between the two is that focus-follows removes focus from any windows when it hits the root window.

I'm unaware of any specification or other document stating what sloppy-focus should and shouldn't do. Seems like it's just better to follow what other window managers have made of it. There's only a few special cases and that's pretty much for transient windows, which is fine with me.

As far as the problem with the overlapping windows (pointer on the lower, focus on the upper after alt+tab, then switching desktops) goes... I like this behavior. It would be annoying to not have the window focused where the pointer is. You'd have to either click the window or move the mouse off and back on to get focus...

The current behavior is probably as close to blackbox/openbox2 as it'll get, which is all I want.