[openbox] another focus prob (3rc3 as well)

Marius Nita marius at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Oct 10 17:31:06 EDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 12:48:42PM +0200, Cas Cremers wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:30:20PM -0400, Ben Jansens wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 01:12:50PM -0400, Tom wrote:
> > > I agree,   The window is now under the mouse.  This is follow mouse
> > > rules right?
> >
> > Follow mouse kind of implies the mouse is moving in order to follow it. When
> > using keyboard shortcuts, the assumption is that you would like further
> > keyboard actions to still manipulate the same window, not a random window
> > depending on where in the focused window you last left the pointer, and what
> > windows are underneath it.
>
> That is not always the case now. I'm using Focus follows mouse. When I
> have two overlapping windows, and use alt-tab to raise and focus the
> lower right one, to get this:
>
> +---+
> |p +----+
> |  |    |
> +--|    |
>    +----+
>
> When I then switch desktops using the keyboard, and switch back, the
> lower one is focussed al of a sudden!
>
> I did not move my mouse, so I don't expect focus to change.

If you want _FOCUS FOLLOW MOUSE_ to work the way you want it to work,
you focus with your mouse, not your keyboard. If you use alt-tab to
focus windows that the mouse cursor is not on, it is entirely
unreasonable to expect that the window manager will accomodate every
possible combination of key-bound action and mouse-bound action
behavior which "feels right" to you.

In a nutshell, openbox tries to keep the focus under the mouse as much
as it can. (hence 'focus follow mouse'!) If you don't like this, use
click to focus.

It seems that there are a bunch of users who want focus follow mouse,
but they want it to follow the mouse only in certain situations. This
is unreasonable and retarded, please consider maintaining your own
patchset to suit your needs.

Bye.