[openbox] Openbox3 Comments

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Thu Jul 31 12:40:00 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 08:29:26PM +0200, Martin Lucina wrote:
> - Occasionally when I switch workspaces Mozilla Firebird seems to lose
>   focus and won't get it back until I focus to a different window (e.g.
>   click on File->Open, or A-Tab to a different application on the same
>   workspace). This happens just often enough to be annoying -- I'd be
>   happy to help in fixing this.

I've not seen this, and i use Firebird also. If you find a way to reproduce
it consistantly, add it to the bugzilla, and it will be fixed.

> - It would be nice to have the ability to override client icons for
>   specific windows. I'm fairly pedantic and would like to have the WM
>   use the same icons for app X as I use in ROX-Filer (especially given
>   that some apps still come with 1980's 1bpp icons).

The problem with that is that requires all this image loading code. Openbox
currently does not link to or contain any code for loading image files. I've
been considering linking to gdk-pixbuf for rendering, which also provides
dither support. That would bring with it image loading code, so I might
consider doing something like this then.. we'll see.

> - Having an XML configuration file is cool, no need to divine another
>   format. Maybe I could contribute by looking through the souce code and
>   coming up with examples that could just (for now) be put as comments
>   in the supplied rc3? Having had to dig though the source to figure out
>   what the correct way to say "Bind this key to switch to desktop X"
>   was, I think this would be useful.

Another user gave me some stuff for making documentation out of an rc3, so
maybe this will solve the problems. I realise docs are lacking for it, but I
have not wanted to commit to writing docs for something that fluctuates so
easily still. :)

> - In keeping with XML file formats, an XML theme format would be nice.
>   I've noticed that there is an example in the source code, so maybe I
>   could look at this and see what I come up with.

Yes, I would not mind an XML theme format. Its just a pain in the ass to
come up with something good. Take a look at what we have and certainly
provide some feedback if you can. The theme format in DESIGN/ is bascially a
1:1 mapping of the xrdb format to XML, with the addition of alpha to every
color (this doesnt mean alpha between windows, X still sucks).

> - I had to pull po/Makefile.in.in r1.1 from the Attic to get the CVS to
>   compile on my machine (Debian stable with backports from
>   http://people.debian.org/~nobse/).

Autopoint (part of gettext) is supposed to give you that file. Glad you got
it working though :)

> Other than that, no major problems. Keep up the good work!

Cool, thanks.

Ben