Openbox3 Comments

Martin Lucina mato at kotelna.sk
Wed Jul 30 14:29:26 EDT 2003

Hi,

I just wanted to say thank you for developing such a cool Window
Manager. I had been looking for a more modern (in terms of standards
compliance) replacement for Window Maker for some time now and have
found it in Openbox3. Now I can get a nice lightweight desktop using
ROX-Filer (shameless plug, see http://rox.sf.net/) and Openbox3.

A couple of comments from my last two weeks of using Openbox3:

- Occasionally when I switch workspaces Mozilla Firebird seems to lose
  focus and won't get it back until I focus to a different window (e.g.
  click on File->Open, or A-Tab to a different application on the same
  workspace). This happens just often enough to be annoying -- I'd be
  happy to help in fixing this.

- It would be nice to have the ability to override client icons for
  specific windows. I'm fairly pedantic and would like to have the WM
  use the same icons for app X as I use in ROX-Filer (especially given
  that some apps still come with 1980's 1bpp icons).

- Having an XML configuration file is cool, no need to divine another
  format. Maybe I could contribute by looking through the souce code and
  coming up with examples that could just (for now) be put as comments
  in the supplied rc3? Having had to dig though the source to figure out
  what the correct way to say "Bind this key to switch to desktop X"
  was, I think this would be useful.

- In keeping with XML file formats, an XML theme format would be nice.
  I've noticed that there is an example in the source code, so maybe I
  could look at this and see what I come up with.

- I had to pull po/Makefile.in.in r1.1 from the Attic to get the CVS to
  compile on my machine (Debian stable with backports from
  http://people.debian.org/~nobse/).

Other than that, no major problems. Keep up the good work!

-mato