[openbox] our IRC home

smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca
Wed Feb 5 01:19:16 EST 2003

* Tim Riley (tr at slackzone.org) wrote:
> Isn't that poor form, when considered from a UI standpoint?  Surely
> there should always be a way to turn off a window setting after
> turning it on.  This can be done for all the other window settings
> in the window menu.

I'd hate to be the bearer of bad news, but openbox is pretty poor form
when considered from a UI standpoint. But with all its warts, I hope
it to be a productive environment. The original poster requested it,
provided a reasonable explanation, and was a pretty simple change;
something I thought would tend to increase productivity.
There's at least a request per week to have some way to start
applications with decorations off, and this seemed like a stop gap
solution to that request.

> Currently, the only way to tourn the decor back on would be to have
> a key binding for it.  Given the somewhat esoteric nature of this
> window setting, I think a key binding is all it needs for activation
> /and/ de-activation.

There might be an argument to be made for a method of bringing up a
window menu on a decorless window, but I haven't yet figured looked at
the code (*shudder*) or tried to find another mouse button modifier
that isn't taken by some equally esoteric application that 25 people
will moan if they can no longer do use its frodo-bummy-mode mushroom
widget.

--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers