[openbox] Fireworks

Matt Keadle mkeadle at gentoo.org
Wed Oct 16 02:10:21 EDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:29:14 -0400
Scott Moynes <smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca> wrote:

> - It doesn't appear like it'd be too difficult to add translucency to
>   all textures. I don't know if such a thing would be wanted
>   though. Seems sort of silly to me.

Openbox is what it is partially because it's fast and liteweight. I tried Waimea and it certainly was flashy, but I didn't appreciate the fact that my cpu would spike to ~40% by moving translucent menus/titlebars/etc around. It's great eyecandy, but I have to keep editing style definitions to make solids, just so I can get some work done. And once you take that candy out of Waimea, there wasn't much more of a point to using it. Add it if you like, but imo it steals a bit from that fast-n-liteweight department.

> - I have a crazy idea to attempt to implement tabbed windows, or
>   tabbed window-like functionality with a third-party app using
>   netwm. Maybe it can't be done. Maybe it can. Maybe I will be
>   kidnapped by billy goats. Two of three options will give me love
>   from unexpected sources, and I like those chances.

I used Fluxbox for a loooong time and got VERY used to the tabs. I spend time in a handful of different wms, but I always end up back in Flux a lot for those tabs. Flux has tabs, Moz has tabs, now Konq has tabs iirc. I won't say yes to tab development here, but i will to " tabbed window-like functionality". I think there's an opportunity here to devise a new form of tab functionality.

> - More stuff. If you have any ideas, slap them on me because I am
>   sitting in maple syrup, so they are likely to stick.

Always on top! Am I missing something, or is this a difficult thing to do? Show me a box that has something "tab-like" and an always-on-top feature and I'll show you a convert. Currently I'm looking at Pekwm, which has both, but doesn't have anything slit-like for my wmdocapps.

--
Matt Keadle
Gentoo Linux Developer
mkeadle at gentoo.org