Fireworks

Scott Moynes smoynes at nexus.carleton.ca
Tue Oct 15 22:29:14 EDT 2002

In the spirit of the season, I thought I'd give anyone who cares an
idea of where I think I will be heading with openbox. I have a few
feature ideas, and would like some feedback, yeigh or neigh, on them.

- drop shadows: Make them not suck. First, make them per-style element
  so you can have drop shadows on the windows, but not the
  menus. Also, allow the style to specify the orientation of the
  shadow a little better. Maybe allow specifying the color to
  use. This causes some problems as a translucent color is used, so if
  I can get feedback from people who care, that'd help steer it.

- Menu wraping: Currently, if you have a really long menu, it will
  wrap to multiple columns if it bigger than the screen. However,
  people's screens are far too large, so you can specify a hard limit
  on some of the menus. Boring? Yes. Why do it? Because I hate having
  a long menu. QED.

- It doesn't appear like it'd be too difficult to add translucency to
  all textures. I don't know if such a thing would be wanted
  though. Seems sort of silly to me.

- I have a crazy idea to attempt to implement tabbed windows, or
  tabbed window-like functionality with a third-party app using
  netwm. Maybe it can't be done. Maybe it can. Maybe I will be
  kidnapped by billy goats. Two of three options will give me love
  from unexpected sources, and I like those chances.

- More stuff. If you have any ideas, slap them on me because I am
  sitting in maple syrup, so they are likely to stick.

Peace, love, and capitalism,
scott
--
Scott Moynes http://www.icculus.org/openbox/
"Computer science is as much about computers