[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

Ben Jansens ben at orodu.net
Mon Oct 7 18:14:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 12:02:25AM +0200, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:11:06PM +0200, John Eckerdal wrote:
>
> > > Yes, both Xft-2.0-1 and Xft-devel-2.0-1 are installed.
>
> > Ok. That is good. What does the compiler say when you try to
> > compile it?
>

> I would like to ask some questions first before I answer because
> I don't understand your suggestions.
>
> To adapt the 'Makefile' in /src and /util you first have to run
> ./configure to create them.
>
> But in config.log (after running configure) I see the following:
>
> configure:5232: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/X11R6/include
> +-L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE conftest.c -lXft    -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11  -lXext
> +>&5
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXft
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> configure:5235: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> ne 5206 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
>
> If I understand this correctly it says that necessary headers/libs from
> Xft have not been found.
> Can this still be corrected 'afterwards' by adapting the makefiles?
> Must it not be corrected during configure itself?
>
> Also if I understand correctly the linker /usr/bin/ld cannot find
> libXft.so.2 or libXft.so.2.0 (which are in /usr/lib).
> Does the linker not look in /etc/ld.so.conf for paths. If the necessary
> paths were included there would it work?

Openbox 2 uses Xft 1, which is shipped with XFree86 4. Xft 2 is a new
and different beast, and is not meant to be entire backwards
compatible i beleive.

> In your solution you make use of a bash script from Xft-devel:
> /usr/bin/xft-config.
> Looking at the script it prescribes the syntax:
> xft-config [OPTIONS] [LIBRARIES] but you only only suggest adding
> 'xft-config --libs' and 'xft-config --cflags'.
> Did you really mean that only this should be included or was I meant
> to add the libraries, thus:
> 'xft-config --libs /usr/lib' and 'xft-config --cflags /usr/include/Xft2/X11'.
>
> I suspect that only including 'xft-config --libs' gives the necessary
> libs to link to so that the paths themselves do not have to be added.
>
> Adding the libraries seems more logical but both ways do not yield the
> expected result. (Or should the libraries have been included like for
> example '-L/usr/lib' and '-I/usr/include/Xft2/X11'.
>
> As you can see I am not a programmer. But I like to understand at least
> something of what is going on.

So, this is why its not working. You're trying to make it use Xft2,
which redhatapparently has moved to before anyone else. See if you
still have xft stuff around in /usr/X11R6 or if there are other xft 1
packages. Or, if you do get it to go with Xft 2, let me know. But
thats why the default build process is not working for you.

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.