[openbox] compiling openbox-2.1.2 on redhat-8.0

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Oct 7 18:02:25 EDT 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 10:11:06PM +0200, John Eckerdal wrote:

> > Yes, both Xft-2.0-1 and Xft-devel-2.0-1 are installed.

> Ok. That is good. What does the compiler say when you try to
> compile it?

I would like to ask some questions first before I answer because
I don't understand your suggestions.

To adapt the 'Makefile' in /src and /util you first have to run
./configure to create them.

But in config.log (after running configure) I see the following:

configure:5232: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -I/usr/X11R6/include
+-L/usr/X11R6/lib  -lSM -lICE conftest.c -lXft    -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11  -lXext
+>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXft
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:5235: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
ne 5206 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

If I understand this correctly it says that necessary headers/libs from
Xft have not been found.
Can this still be corrected 'afterwards' by adapting the makefiles?
Must it not be corrected during configure itself?

Also if I understand correctly the linker /usr/bin/ld cannot find
libXft.so.2 or libXft.so.2.0 (which are in /usr/lib).
Does the linker not look in /etc/ld.so.conf for paths. If the necessary
paths were included there would it work?

In your solution you make use of a bash script from Xft-devel:
/usr/bin/xft-config.
Looking at the script it prescribes the syntax:
xft-config [OPTIONS] [LIBRARIES] but you only only suggest adding
'xft-config --libs' and 'xft-config --cflags'.
Did you really mean that only this should be included or was I meant
to add the libraries, thus:
'xft-config --libs /usr/lib' and 'xft-config --cflags /usr/include/Xft2/X11'.

I suspect that only including 'xft-config --libs' gives the necessary
libs to link to so that the paths themselves do not have to be added.

Adding the libraries seems more logical but both ways do not yield the
expected result. (Or should the libraries have been included like for
example '-L/usr/lib' and '-I/usr/include/Xft2/X11'.

As you can see I am not a programmer. But I like to understand at least
something of what is going on.

Alexander