[mojosetup] Desktop menu items!

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Wed Apr 9 21:53:30 EDT 2008

Ole Jacob Taraldset wrote:
> Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>>> 1) make the installer fail silently, and not remove the entire
>>> installation
>>> or 2) create the necessary .local files structure
>> It definitely created the .local folder here.
>>
>> Can you see if CentOS ships with an "xdg-desktop-menu" in the $PATH,
>> and if it's broken in such a way? MojoSetup favors the preinstalled
>> script, as recommended by freedesktop.org.
>>
> Yes, that was the problem!
>
> The CentOS I'm testing on, is a vmware downloaded image.
>
> Do you know whether it is common for installers in various systems to
> not install the xdg-utils package?
> What would be a good way to check for the availability of
> xdg-desktop-menu before trying to install menu entries?

You shouldn't, in theory, have to...we favor the script in the $PATH,
but ship our own as a fallback if the script isn't on the system.

(Make sure meta/xdg-utils/xdg-desktop-menu is included with your
installer's data.)

The problem sounds like the script that's included on the system is
buggy, though. Can you run xdg-desktop-menu --version on that machine
and tell me what it reports? We might be able to check the version and
use our script instead.

--ryan.