[mohaa] (fixed) 2.15 Spearhead server.

Matrix Matrix at ServerXtreme.com
Tue Mar 18 23:16:34 EST 2003

Sorry, yes we have all of our servers sitting on GigE to the net (Fiber
right into 6 major backbones) our bandwidth cap is 1000Mbps :)

I know I said Dual and Quad Xeon, and yes that gets more servers on the
box.  The test server I was running with a high client setting was empty
and one of the 2.4 GHz CPU's was sitting around 50% usage at 32 clients.
The Load on the server was sitting at 0.10 roughly at its highest. :)
...and that is what was boggling me, nothing was restricting this game
on the server, but after about 20 players pings started to climb.  23
seemed to be the big breaking point for pings to sky rocket.  Ohh and on
the bandwidth thing, our nic's are GigE nic's as well running at
1000Mbps.   All network settings from our network to the main fiber
backbones are running full-duplex as well.

The max frag count is something I will have to try out...  Anything else
you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--Matrix

-----Original Message-----
From: caretaker at hellahivemind.com [mailto:caretaker at hellahivemind.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 9:39 PM
To: mohaa at icculus.org
Subject: Re: [mohaa] (fixed) 2.15 Spearhead server.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's all together possible) but, having
Spearhead running on a quad or a dualie for that matter, probably
doesn't
make a big difference to the peformance of the game. I'm sure that the
code
most likely is not optimized to utilize SMP support to that extent.
Also,
when you say that you're running gigaspeed to the net, you're refering
your internal speed to the router, but what are running from there? T1,
OC3,
etc? The reason I ask, is that many people assume it's the game code
that's
bad, when come to find out things like line saturation can be the
problem as
well. I'm not saying that's what it is in this case, but if you could
provide some peak server stats regarding your connection and server
resources, it will benefit everyone on the list. I have had a similar
problem with high player counts, and found that limiting the frag count
under 50 had a fairly significant positive impact on performance. Maybe
that's a place to start to just as a proof of concept. Hope it helps.

[^DD^]Hellboy
www.devil-dogs.net