[mohaa] (fixed) 2.15 Spearhead server.

caretaker at hellahivemind.com caretaker at hellahivemind.com
Tue Mar 18 22:38:37 EST 2003

Correct me if I'm wrong (and it's all together possible) but, having
Spearhead running on a quad or a dualie for that matter, probably doesn't
make a big difference to the peformance of the game. I'm sure that the code
most likely is not optimized to utilize SMP support to that extent. Also,
when you say that you're running gigaspeed to the net, you're refering to
your internal speed to the router, but what are running from there? T1, OC3,
etc? The reason I ask, is that many people assume it's the game code that's
bad, when come to find out things like line saturation can be the problem as
well. I'm not saying that's what it is in this case, but if you could
provide some peak server stats regarding your connection and server
resources, it will benefit everyone on the list. I have had a similar
problem with high player counts, and found that limiting the frag count to
under 50 had a fairly significant positive impact on performance. Maybe
that's a place to start to just as a proof of concept. Hope it helps.

[^DD^]Hellboy
www.devil-dogs.net