[mohaa] sv_fps and performance

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Fri Jan 10 11:41:47 EST 2003

Hi Luke,

> One other comment from a fellow admin about gamers complaining about the
all
> encompassing 'lag'. Im a perfectionist as well and used to practically
freak
> out if anyone on the servers even breathed the word 'lag'

I know the feeling and have felt the same way before myself.  It's nice to
know it isn't just me.  =)

> ... there are too many factors that
> could contribute to 'lag', including the usual network performance
> fluctuation, and some server issues (like maybe sv_fps), but most of the
> 'lag' people complain about is due to them having their pc running Kazaa
in
> the background while playing, or running it on their moms PII 400,
etc.....

Also, some of them are running the game with the video cranked all the way
to 1600x1200 with all the eye-candy at maximum.

> If I get consistent reports of lag from gamers I trust then I look into it
> (which is pretty much never), otherwise I ignore them as they are usually
> just looking for an excuse as to why they just got sniped for the tenth
time
> in 2 minutes anyway......

You're absolutely right and I handle it the same way.  I've just experienced
some degraded performance myself on occasion and am always on the prowl for
tweaks that make gameplay the best it can be.  I guess it's just frustrating
to me when the promise of better performance is crushed by something quirky
like this.

Shockwave