[mohaa] sv_fps and performance

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Fri Jan 10 11:13:17 EST 2003

Hey Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

> Things that I have found to make a real difference in terms of performance
> for me have been reducing the maxrate to 9000 (I had it set at 11000) and
> restricting high-pingers from joining by setting the max ping to 250 and
> setting autokick to remove players with pings over 280 for more than 5
> passes......These have really helped. What hardware do you have in the
> server?

I have my sv_maxRate set to 9000 already.  I learned the impact of that type
of setting back when I was running my UT server a few years ago.  =)  The
server administration tool I developed also has the capability of policing
high-ping players and I have it set to average the five most current ping
values and drop anyone above 300 which usually keeps the pings for players
to 200 or below.  Also, I'm running on a 1.2GHz Athlon with 512MB of memory
and I'm not seeing a problem with the system handling the load.  The server
is connected to a T3 line, so that's not the problem either.

It's not a huge problem, but it's noticeable at times.  Being somewhat of a
perfectionist, I like to shoot for velvet-smooth performance whenever
possible which is why I'm fiddling around with this.  I'm wondering whether
the Windows version behaves the same way or if this is a Linux-only issue.

Shockwave