sv_fps and performance

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Fri Jan 10 10:26:53 EST 2003

Hello everyone,

I have been running a MOH:AA server for a while and decided the other day to
try a different setting for sv_fps after receiving some complaints about lag
from players with decent pings.  The default apparently is 20, so I decided
to try a 50% increase and set it to 30.  Once set, I noticed some strange
behavior when I tried to switch weapons, so I decided that it was because I
set it without doing a server restart.  I put the value in my server.cfg
file and restarted and still noticed the problem.  What's even more
interesting is that it reverted to the default as soon as I changed maps.
No matter whether I placed it on the command line, or used "set", "seta",
"sets", or "setu" in the server.cfg file, it would always revert back to 20.
At that point I decided to write a mod that set it at the beginning of each
new map and it worked, but I still experienced strange behavior while in the
game.

Is this value hardcoded to be 20?  If so, why?  I'm looking for a way to
increase server performance and this is cvar is supposed to be the way to
get more server actions per second.  I haven't tried experimenting with this
cvar in the latest Spearhead release, but I bet that this kind of issue
might have an impact there as well especially considering how much of a
resource hog it is.  If anyone knows what is going on with this, I would
appreciate some insight.  Also, if anyone knows of any other performance
tweaks, I would be grateful for any help.

Shockwave