[mohaa] Requirements

Josh Berry josh at chickenmonkey.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 04:53:50 EST 2003

I had a problem similar to this when I was setting up my original MOHAA server (and as it applies to every game I assume it will for spearhead). The most important thing in any linux server is memory.

If you start using your swap space your server instantly slows because it has to page to the hard drive in virtual memory - and this will send pings through the roof and cause lag.

If you have console access to the server use the 'top' command when the server is full and see how much memory is used. I run a 20 player server which uses ~256M maximum (although it has its problems as the install of linux is broken). Also, if your server is on for long periods of time set up a dialy/weekly reboot in cron as i find that memory leaks after a while and the usage goes up to ~384M after a couple of weeks.

On the other hand, if memory isn't the problem I have no idea :)

Regards

Josh