[mohaa] Spearhead expired??!?!?!?!?

Neil A. Twa neil at twastudios.com
Mon Feb 3 17:37:42 EST 2003

Hypothetically speaking, lets just say we wanted a server to be accessible
via ASE and blocked from GameSpy, because it was requested from out
client. How would we then go about setting it so that, in theory of
course, Spearhead didn't report to the master server list for GameSpy. Not
condoning warez mind you, just want to keep the people happy. Where they
get their software from is none of our business.

>> I am finding the same thing to be true. Does not matter what type of
>> OS, it is doing the same thing.
>
> (As for the difference between BETA1 and BETA2: I did a "make clean;
> make" to rebuild with a later expiration date. Shouldn't be other
> changes.)
>
> So I looked at the source...MOHAA doesn't do anything with the CD-key,
> as far as I can tell, but Spearhead added support for GameSpy's CDkey
> SDK.
>
> It looks as if the client sends a cdkey (or maybe a cdkey hash) to the
> server, which then contacts a gamespy server for authorization. Gamespy
> then either gives a thumbs up or gives the finger and the server
> notifies the client and drops the connection if appropriate (well, it's
> UDP, so it's not really _dropped_, but it'll clear out any client state,
> so continuing to send packets from the client won't help...it'd have to
> go through the login procedure again and get blocked at the same point).
>
> If the GameSpy connection times out, the server will give the client the
> benefit of the doubt and let them in (hmm...so server admins could
> theoretically block traffic to GameSpy to get around this...). It will
> ONLY deny entrance due to a "pirated" key if GameSpy tells them to do
> so.
>
> Does that help?
>
> --ryan.

Accelerate Your Hosting!