[mohaa] argh!! help please!

[-SF-]Shockwave shockwave at clanshortfuse.com
Thu Sep 19 11:21:25 EDT 2002

Hello Largo,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties.  On the odd chance that my
configuration might work for you, here's my command line to start the
server:

/usr/local/games/MOHAA/mohaa_lnxded +set dedicated 1 +set cheats 0 +set
ui_console 1 +set g_gametype 2 +set sv_maxclients 20 +set developer 2 +map
dm/mohdm1 +exec server.cfg

I would add the commands to set the IP and port to the command line if you
have a multi-homed server.  Mine isn't so I don't bother.  With the line
above, my server output log actually shows this:

Hostname: shortfuse.netsville.com
Alias: shortfuse
Alias: localhost.localdomain
Alias: localhost
IP: 127.0.0.1

Everything has always worked fine for me though and the server appears in
the public list.  Here's my server.cfg file:

sv_hostname "RAGNAROK @ www.netsville.com [Linux / T3 / FF off]"

sv_chatter 1     //log console activity
Logfile 2          //set logfile option 0=none 1=buffered, 2=continuous
                       //3=append

fraglimit 100      //Sets the limit of Frags that will end the match
                        //( 0 = no fraglimit)

timelimit 20       //Sets the amount of time (in minutes) for map changes
                        //(0 = no timelimit)

//This is the list of maps that will be cycled for the server
sv_maplist "dm/mohdm1 dm/mohdm2 dm/mohdm3 dm/mohdm4 dm/mohdm6 dm/mohdm7"

set g_allowjointime 5   //This setting is instrumental in stopping
                        //"re-spawn cheaters" in Round-based games.
                        //Recommend setting X to around 5 or so
                        //The default time is 30 seconds

sv_allowDownload 0  //Toggles allowing client downloads from server
                    //like custom maps  0=off  1=on

set cheats 0    // disable cheat codes

sv_maxRate 9000  //Max data transmit rate by clients on the server.

sv_maxPing 400  //Keeps anyone with a higher ping than this value from
                //connecting to the server

sv_fps 20  //Server FPS, this should increase performance (20 is the
default)

sv_floodProtect 1  //Flood protection from server crashing text messages
                   //Enabled by DEFAULT, not totally necessary to include

set flood_waitdelay 10  //Enabled by DEFAULT, not totally necessary to
include

set flood_persecond 4  //messages per second to be considered a flood
                       //Enabled by DEFAULT, not totally necessary to
include

set flood_msgs 4   //Enabled by DEFAULT, not totally necessary to include

sv_pure 0  //Pak checker, does not allow clients to use PAK files the server
           //doesn't have (0=off 1=on)

sv_gamespy 1  //Allows your server to show up in the Gamespy browser, and
the
              //In-game browser* (*In-game browser available in v1.1, not
1.0)

set g_inactiveKick 60  //Time (in seconds) that a client will be kicked
                        //for inactivity

set g_inactiveSpectate 60  //Time (in seconds) that a client will be moved
                           // to spectator for inactivity

set g_teamdamage 0  // FF setting  0=off  1=on

net_noipx 1      //Disallows IPX connections, TCP only
                 //this is mainly a LAN consideration

net_port 12203   //Sets the port # for the game to run off of
                 //**12203 is the default

//set Password xxxx  //Makes ENTIRE server private
                     //some have reported this not working after 1.11 , use
                     //privateClients instead

set sv_privateClients 0           //assigns reserved slots
set privatePassword xxxxx         //password for reserved slots
set rconPassword xxxxxx           //Sets your RCON password
set g_teamForceBalance 1          // team balancing  0=off  1=on

//These 2 setting were suggested to possibly help with latency issues.
set cl_packetdup 3
seta pmove_fixed 0

//Finally, put a blank line at end of the config

I can't take credit for it because I copied an existing layout from
somewhere on the web and adjusted it to fit my needs.  One of my buddies had
problems with his server crashing all the time with some really nasty errors
but they have disappeared after he started using this configuration file.
Maybe it's just luck, but if you're having problems you might want to give
this a shot.  My server.cfg file is /usr/local/games/MOHAA/main/server.cfg ,
it is read by the game server fine, and all of the other game files the
server needs are found and used as well.  My log file for the server is
created as $HOME/.mohaa/main/qconsole.log and has been capturing data as
expected.  Below is a batch file I just put together for testing and I have
successfully used it to start my server.  I added the +set net_IP command
just for kicks and it works for me:

#!/bin/bash
#

# save last copy of log file
cp ~/.mohaa/main/qconsole.log ~/.mohaa/main/qconsole_last.log

# truncate log
> ~/.mohaa/main/qconsole.log

# start server
screen mohaa_admin
./mohaa_lnxded +set dedicated 1 +set net_IP 216.42.80.176 +set cheats 0 +set
ui_console 1 +set g_gametype 2 +set sv_maxclients 20 +set developer 2 +map
dm/mohdm1 +exec server.cfg

Regarding whether a system on the LAN can connect using a local IP rather
than the Internet IP, I don't know whether it works or not because I've
never tried it.  I'd suggest trying using both the local and Internet IP's
one at a time and see if you can get either to work.  It might force you to
use the Internet IP to join because that's the one you bound the game server
to with the net_IP command.  You might also have to browse the Internet
server listing to see it too, but I'm not sure.  I hope this helps.

Shockwave