rcon commands

Eduardo E. Silva esilva at silvex.com
Wed Oct 23 18:12:18 EDT 2002

I have been playing on a public server MOH. This a popular clan which I will
keep their name to CLAN just to be cool. Lately there has been players
complaining (even CLAN's member) that you get disconnected a lot. Sometimes
you try to re-connect after being disconnected and just get disconnected right
away or during the connection when you are loading the map.

Some players suggested that someone (aka hacker) is sending Dos attacks on the
server probably using BOINK and or TEARDROP and thus causing the disconnects.
I know that any NT box with SP3 or later will be fixed from these attacks,
since Microsoft provided fixes long time ago -- Linux is not prone to these
attacks. This box is a Windows 2000, and don't know which SPs has installed --
it is hosted by a well known company.

Now lets say that 'someone' with rcon password acces is typing the commands:
kick, restart, disconnect on purpose at the console remotely thru rcon
commands. How and where are these commands recorded on the logs ? If logging
is enable...

Will they show from which IP were send ?

Ed Silva
Silvex Consulting Inc.
(714) 504-6870 Cell