[mohaa] Spearhead...

scratch scratch at xmission.com
Sun Nov 10 15:14:59 EST 2002

> Ryan,
>
> Let me get this right so you are the man who is going to do the Linux
> server side for Spearhead?
>
> But you wont have time to start to code it until after Comdex. So those
> of us who try and make money by
> supplying customers with great game servers will lose out once again to
> the people hosting on Windoze servers :(
>
> Could you please keep us up to date,

I don't think Ryan is responsible for your business losing money.  More
aptly, he's the reason you *are* in business.  I'm sure nothing would make
Ryan happier than to be paid millions for his efforts and have a slew of
employees with his skill working for him so he could pump all these projects
out in a more timely fashion -- but let's be real.  He does a fantastic job
on these projects in an almost entirely Windows-based industry (and if you
haven't noticed, he's currently involved with MOHAA, 1942, the monsterous
UT2003, Spearhead and lord only knows what else), and he's probably the only
reason Linux ports are coming out for these games at all.  Clearly few game
developers show much interest in supporting our niche.  He causes a few to
give it a cursory glance, and for that you should be grateful.  It shows
amazing gaul to instead flame him for failing to meet your financial
timetable.  If this is so damaging for your enterprise, I'd suggest you
reconsider your business model.

scratch

ps.  I played on several of those god-awful "Rent This Server!"s that showed
up in the Spearhead demo browser.  It appears you have little-to-no decent
competition.  Hang tight.