[mohaa] Missleading pings?

Eric Koldeweij eric at no-sense.net
Tue Jul 30 19:15:55 EDT 2002

I think that's pretty normal and expected.
I don't know about MOHAA, but most other games just measure the roundtrip
time for the regular game packets, not the ICMP packets which are sent by
the ping program.
Since the MOHAA ping has to be received and processed by the MOHAA server
and the regular ping is handled by the system a lot of extra overhead is
introduced, so 20ms difference is not strange.
You cannot compare regular pings with MOHAA pings. The only thing you know
is that the bigger the difference the more busy the MOHAA server probably is
:)

Eric.